Discover Chef Michael Symon’s Yo Cheeseburger Recipe, featuring Pickled Red Onions & Spicy Ketchup for a mouthwatering twist.
Indulge in the rich flavors of Chef Michael Symon’s signature cheeseburger as seen in “The Chew”. Crispy fried salami, succulent beef, and the creamy tartness of Wisconsin Fontina cheese come together on a toasted English muffin for an extraordinary burger experience.
Ingredients for the Yo Cheeseburger Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (blend of brisket, beef cheek, and sirloin)
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 thin slices Fontina cheese
- 4 English Muffins, split and toasted
- 1 green cucumber pickle, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Pickled Red Onions
- 8 slices salami
- 4 teaspoons Spicy Ketchup
For the Pickled Red Onions:
- 2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- White wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
For the Spicy Ketchup:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 5 Fresno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 dried ancho chile or chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Preparing the Cheeseburger:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high.
- Shape the beef into four 6-ounce patties. Season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.
- Grill the burgers for 3 minutes each side (for medium-rare). Add cheese after flipping.
- Layer the burgers on the English muffin bottoms. Add cucumber pickle, pickled red onions, crispy salami, and spicy ketchup. Complete with the muffin tops.
- For the Pickled Red Onions:
- Place the sliced onions in a jar and cover with water. Pour out half and replace with an equal amount of vinegar.
- Transfer the liquid to a saucepan. For every 3 cups of liquid, add sugar, salt, mustard seeds, red pepper flakes, coriander seeds, peppercorns, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Boil the mixture for 2 minutes, then pour over the onions in the jar.
- Seal and refrigerate for 2 weeks before use.
- For the Spicy Ketchup:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic with a pinch of salt, and sweat until translucent.
- Add the chiles, red pepper flakes, sugar, cumin, cinnamon, tomato paste, and vinegar. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in water and let it simmer for 2 hours on low heat.
- Cool for 15 minutes, remove the cinnamon stick, blend, and strain the mixture.
- Once cool, refrigerate.
Serve the delicious cheeseburger with a side of your choice and enjoy the medley of flavors!
Happy cooking and enjoy your meal!
Let's Get Fired Up! Grilled Flank Steak Tacos with Grilled...
Think you got what it takes to navigate a soup bowl? Allow...
We stumbled upon a fantastic breakfast recipe from Cowboy...